Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The O'bama Factor

I used to love Bill O'Reilly. I watched his show every night; I read his first two books; and I did a book report for my political science class on his second book. I was a huge fan, and without going into the reasons why I no longer am, I was still very excited to see his interview with Barack Obama. Like a child running to the Christmas tree on Christmas morning, I have, since we recently down-graded our cable, been running to the computer every morning and checking O'Reilly's Fox News site to see the latest installment of this interview. And I've been pleased with what I've seen thus far. This has been a good interview for a few reasons: O'Reilly is hostile territory and if Obama does well with Bill, then he can do well with anyone; O'Reilly has been extremely tough and will argue his own opinion and analysis against Obama; and Obama has responded well and argued right back.

The third installment was what I was most eager and anxious to see, as it was to cover Rev. Wright, Bill Ayers and Father Pfleger. Obama, like the other installments, handled the questions masterfully and remained civil but firm with O'Reilly. He successfully argued that Ayers, Wright and Pfleger were doing work in the community when he was doing work in the community, and that was how the associations were formed. He argued that all of their views are not his views, and linking him to them is nothing but classic GBA, which it most certainly is.

What drove me crazy the most in this interview was O'Reilly's yelling when there was absolutely no reason to yell. O'Reilly is incapable of having a reasoned and calm discussion over hot-button issues. However, I must say that in the second installment Bill made a good point that I do not believe Obama successfully answered. He argued that poverty has increased because immigration has increased. Robert Samuelson, who has an excellent column, argues this as well.

So, overall, I've got to give it up for O'Reilly. He has conducted a, sometimes unnecessarily hostile, but good interview and put the heat on Obama. And Obama has performed well himself coming right back with reasoned and solid answers. O'Reilly's interview far outshines Keith Olbermann's which was a complete joke. I can only stomach so much ass-kissing whether or not I agree with said individuals. We'll see if Republican starlet Sarah Palin comes on the factor, and if Bill is just as intense. And hopefully this interview has some O'Reilly fans thinking twice about Obama.

3 comments:

Heath Countryman said...

starlet? Why not just call her "babe" or "chick?" Sheesh Chris, I thought you were a good liberal... But I guess its allowed, since she is a Republican.

What was she thinking running for office? Doesn't she know that only liberal women deserve respect?

chris o said...

oh jeeeez, don't even play the sexist card.

starlet: a young movie actress being coached and publicized for starring roles -webster's

i'm playing off the hypocrisy of the right calling obama "just another celeb" while palin is now the up and coming big star on the right. but it's nice to see it ruffled your feathers.

Heath Countryman said...

My bad... I guess I didn't realize that you were showing your admiration for her. In that case, I guess starlet applies.