Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Solution to the Food Crisis, Environmental Degradation and Factory Farming

Growing up, I was quite the weird little attention whore. One of the things I liked to do to get attention was eat ants. One time, I ate a live one and it kept crawling up my throat. I thought it was hilarious; other people just thought it was gross. Americans still think eating bugs is gross, but much of the world doesn't, and maybe soon things here will change.

I read this article yesterday on entomophagy, which is the term for eating insects. I admit that I have a fear of large flying insects, so I wouldn't really be all about eating them. But given that there's more protein in insects than in chicken, and it takes less water to raise them I might reconsider. This is a great article and I predict that by the time I'm an old man entomophagy will be commonplace in the U.S. The article points out that sushi once had a high gross-out factor, and lobster is just a large cockroach. I would add that food in the U.S. is becoming increasingly multi-cultural and diverse, and shows like Bizarre Foods promote desensitization. I know, it sounds gross, but read the article, it makes a lot of sense.

3 comments:

Heath Countryman said...

"I predict that by the time I'm an old man entomophagy will be commonplace in the U.S."

Wow... If I were a betting man, I'd take you up on that one. Never gonna happen...

Anonymous said...

well, we know how accurate a fortune teller you are, mr. mike huckabee's gonna be the next president. lol

Heath Countryman said...

ya, well he will be president before americans start eating bugs.
:)