Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Stop Hurting America!



In '04 Jon Stewart went on Crossfire and kicked Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala in the balls-- well not really-- but what he did was even better then that. If you missed his appearance you should check it out because I think the disdain he exhibits is manifesting itself in the huge youth turnout for Obama and in the imminent nomination of McCain.

Rush Limbaugh and company have been coming unglued over McCain, and I admit that part of me enjoys listening to these meltdowns. The reason Rush hates McCain is because he sees McCain as a trojan horse who will, "let the enemy in" because what Limbaugh, and people like Tom DeLay, want is a Republican-controlled country; not a democracy. I think that the country is sick of the us-versus-them politics that has enveloped the last eight years. I think that, especially, college-educated young people and independents are looking for leaders who will work with those in the other party and champion what's best for the country and the rest of the world, and not Republican or Democratic dogma. The Stewart-Crossfire appearance struck me because for far too long we've had shows like Crossfire and Hannity and Colmes perpetuating divisiveness and this either-or, liberal versus conservative garbage.

A McCain-Obama contest would be good for America, and elevate the political discourse. And a McCain or Obama presidency would, hopefully, bring together some of the good things from both parties.

4 comments:

Heath Countryman said...

"I think that the country is sick of the us-versus-them politics that has enveloped the last eight years."

You are going to have to go back a bit farther than that... At least to the beginning of the Clinton years (numerous government shutdowns due to disagreements on spending), and probably all the way back to Nixon, though I lack perspective on anything prior to Bush 41 as I wasn't paying attention before I was 16 or so...

I agree that there is very much a divided electorate. But what is interesting to me is that each side blames the other for the polorization. I have felt like the last 4 years particularly have been a nonstop attack on conservatism, whereas liberals so it exactly the other way. I would guess that the most recent disagreements go back to the 2000 election, so in a way it will be good for Bush 43 tohead off to crawford, if nothing else than to settle that for good.

As far as who sets the agenda, as a conservative, I acknowledge that Republicans did their best to promote a conservative agenda when they were in power... But that is what elections are for--to decide whose agenda will be implimented. I kind of see the election of 2006 as a rejection of Republicans precisely because the goverened to liberally and overspent. Liberals see it as an embrace of their agenda's, namely pulling out of Iraq and increased taxes on the rich...

Now that the tide is turning and the upcoming election looks to be an easy Democratic win, I doubt the liberals are going to reach out to the conservatives and ask our opinion on how they should govern. But I would not expect them to. If Republicans want to run the country according to conservative values, then they have to win elections.

I agree on the Hannity and Colmes/Crossfire criticism. I stopped watching those shows around 3-4 years ago. I just can't take all the arguing. (Funny, since I love to argue on blogs! :))

I think its wishful thinking on McCain and Obama elevating political discourse. Once they are head to head, it will get ugly. That seems to be the nature of American politics over the last 225 years.

chris o said...

i feel like the divisiveness has been at it's worst though after the 2000 election and the infamous red state-blue state map that was everywhere.

i didn't pay too much attention in high school during the clinton years, but i do distinctly remember felatiogate, and all the rumors that clinton had murdered several people and raped somebody. so it does seem like the viciousness steadily increased during that time. of course, rush got big during those years further taking things into the gutter. i bring all this up not to be partisan, but because it's what i remember. i was raised in a conservative family so i'm not familiar with anti-republican vitriol in those days.

i do have to disagree with your cynicism about a mccain-obama contest. i'm not saying there won't be any negativity because there will, especially about iraq. but both candidates have sought to run positive campaigns and to not get caught up in the mudslinging.

i think the republicans got shutdown in 06 because of iraq.

Heath Countryman said...

Minor point...
Rush really hit big time in 1990-1991 while Bush 41 was president. He certainly added some audience during the clinton years, but I think only about 90 of his 600+ stations were added during that time. I knew about Rush in high school before Clinton was elected.
Like I said, minor point.

Heath Countryman said...

BTW, as a Huckabee supporter, I love listening to Rush eat crow over McCain. Rush threw Huckabee under the bus when he was the only conservative that could have stopped McCain and so in a way I am glad he is having so much angst over McCain's nomination. But I can't see McCain beating Obama, so congrats ahead of time to all the Obama supporters. He is going to be president. Mark my words. lol...