Thursday, October 2, 2008

My Morning With Barry

About an hour ago I arrived home from my first political rally. Last night, I found out that Barack Obama was going to be in town this morning at Calder Plaza, which is this large open area in the middle of downtown in front of city hall. I have the day off today for school, so I decided I would go.

I got up early with my wife, and the two of us headed downtown. She, unfortunately, had to work, so I just rode with her since she works blocks away from Calder. We got downtown with enough time to walk to a local coffee shop and get some Pumpkin Spice Lattes. As we walked back to her work it started to lightly sprinkle. I forgot my umbrella, so I started worrying I would be walking back to the car, after the rally, cold and wet. Thankfully, it never started raining, but the sky remained flooded with dark gray clouds. Predictably, the line was long going several blocks down the street, and wrapping around the corner for another block or so. I brought my Stats textbook, so I could get some reading done while I waited.

After filling out a card, and getting through security, I was pleased to find that I wasn't stuck in the back of the crowd as I expected to be. I was in the middle with a pretty clear view of the podium. After several speakers, the Pledge, the National Anthem, and a perfunctory prayer filled with thee's, thou's, beseeches and other Elizabethan words and phrases, and after listening to the same play list over and over again which consisted of like 90% country songs (if i went to a McCain rally would most of the songs be rap and r&b?), Obama finally took to the stage. He gave a great speech (of course) about the economy, jobs, taxes, spending and cynicism. He ended by movingly speaking about how so many Americans have worked hard to achieve their dreams, saying, "There have been those who said, I may not be able to vote, but maybe someday my child or grandchild will run for President of the United States." This moved me because, at the very least, it was worth seeing Senator Obama because I'll be able to say that I've seen the first African American President of the United States in person.

The second after Obama finished speaking, the dismal sky broke apart, and warm sunlight poured through the clouds...
It really did... It was weird.

4 comments:

Heath Countryman said...

Ah, God has blessed our nation with a new Messiah! I am surprised you didn't hear a voice from the sky saying, "This is my son, ..."

chris o said...

you'll notice that in the photo i posted of him there is a light above his head. i think that was the spirit descending upon him like a dove. lol

Heath Countryman said...

lol... didn't catch that at first... But now that you mention it!

I think I say an image of Obama in my grilled cheese sandwich... I am taking that as a sign.

Heath Countryman said...

saw not say